It’s a new year, and the perfect time to reevaluate what you are eating. One of the most prevalent things in our diets today is flour. Maybe some of you already use whole-wheat flour, but in case you do not it is an extremely easy item to substitute when you are cooking at home, or even an easy product alternative to switch to at the grocery store.
Whole wheat in general is just a much healthier product that contains much more fiber and nutrients that can benefit your entire body, especially your vision. It is an incredible source of nutrients for your eyes because it contains a high level of vitamin E, zinc and niacin, which are great nutrients to keep your eyes healthy and your vision as sharp as ever.
This recipe is a great way to start familiarizing yourself with whole grains because it is incredibly tasty and kid-friendly. And who doesn’t like starting the morning off with pancakes? You or your kids wont even miss the old boxed pancake mix we are all used to!
Whole Wheat Pancakes
Makes about 8 to 12 Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup oatmeal, old-fashioned
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ orange, zested
- Pinch of salt
- Place oats in food processor and pulse until a slightly fine texture is achieved.
- Add oats, whole-wheat flour, and all-purpose flour to bowl and stir until combined with oil.
- Add sugar, baking soda, vanilla, orange zest, oil, milk, yogurt and egg and mix until combined.
- Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes. The mixture will thicken.
- Add small amount of batter to slightly oiled griddle on medium high heat until edges of pancake are slightly dry and bubbles have popped. Then flip the pancake and cook until perfectly golden brown.
- While you are finishing with the rest of the pancakes, place finished pancakes on sheet in 200-degree oven to keep warm. This will low you to serve everyone at the same time!
- Top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!