Many of us start the year with renewed hopes of eating better. But once the sparkle of the New Year wears off and everyday routines commence, we sometimes stray from the goals we set. That quick meal at the drive-thru will start to sound more appealing than chopping veggies in the kitchen. While eating healthy is definitely a lifestyle to strive for, it doesn’t have to be complicated. Simple changes to your family’s favorite meals can lead to tremendous health benefits. For example, adding wheat germ to a recipe is a fantastic way to make sure you’re taking in important nutrients. Wheat germ is the embryo of the wheat plant and the most nutritious part of the kernel. It’s a good source of several nutrients, including vitamin E. This antioxidant can protect cells in your eyes from free radicals that can damage healthy tissue. According to studies, vitamin E also slows the progression of macular degeneration and prevents the formation of cataracts.
Because of its mild flavor, wheat germ can easily be incorporated into any meal. You can use it as a substitute for bread crumbs, sprinkle it over cereal and oatmeal, or bake it into bread and muffins. It can also be tossed into a big pot of turkey chili. This dish is full of flavor and nutrients, including protein, fiber and vitamin E. You won’t even notice the added wheat germ, but your body will. With this easy addition to your recipes, you’ll be able to keep that healthy eating pledge all year long.
Turkey Chili with Wheat Germ
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can red beans
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- Drain beans and place in large pot. Add onion, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and place on medium high heat and cover.
- In a skillet, brown turkey meat, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked turkey to large pot along with cumin, oregano and salt.
- Cover pot and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly stir in wheat germ, being sure that it’s mixed well. Enjoy.