Just in time for grilling season…it’s burger time! While this isn’t going to be your typical burger, it will be delicious. This recipe is going to use ground turkey instead of your stereotypical red meat. Turkey is lean meat that makes all of your standard red meat recipes much healthier and the best thing is that people won’t even notice because of all the flavors that accompany this burger!
Turkey is an excellent alternative to red meat because it is far leaner, but it also has nutrients within that benefit the whole body. It is especially healthy for your eye health. Turkey contains a considerable amount of vitamin B. This particular vitamin is essential for proper eye health because this compound allows your eyes to function properly and also prevents your eyes from becoming too dry. A diet that contains a high amount of vitamin B is less likely to be at risk for dry eye syndrome, which can lead to serious eye problems like cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Every time you eat this delicious burger this summer, your eyes will thank you!
Turkey Burgers with Avocado Crema, Grilled Red Onions, and Arugula (Makes 4)
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded and scooped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut into thick rings
- Place turkey into a large bowl with shallots, garlic cloves, Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Use hands to evenly mix all ingredients together. Pat into 4 equal patties.
- Place turkey burgers on a medium-hot grill and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Place avocados in a bowl with cumin, coriander and mayonnaise. Use a fork to mash all ingredients together to make a thick sauce. Season with salt and pepper
- Set red onion slices/rings on grill, sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to cook until slightly charred and soft.
- Assemble burger with a delicious patty on bottom, avocado crema, grilled red onions and fresh arugula.