Summertime is a busy time for everyone, and the last thing you want to be doing is fussing over a hot stove in the little time that you do have. So the key to avoiding this mishap is by having recipes that are a snap to throw together.
Just because recipes are simple doesn’t necessarily mean that the outcome is going to be bland and boring. I sometimes am reminded that the simplest things are usually the tastiest! The most classic summer sandwich I can think of is the B.L.T. It is truly one of my favorites, especially when you are using height of tomato season. In this particular recipe we are going to add some turkey to make it a little more substantial for dinner and the whole family.
Turkey has incredible nutrients inside that can greatly help your vision. There is a lot of vitamin B in turkey, which can help your eyes from losing the moisture they require to stay healthy. Turkey also contains zinc and calcium; these nutrients will ensure that the muscles in and around your eyes are working properly. These nutrients will help your eyes stay sharp and may also prevent the possibilities of macular degeneration.
Turkey B.L.T. with Avocado Crema
- Good multigrain bread, toasted
- Sliced turkey breast
- Heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Bacon, cooked to your liking
- 1 egg
- 2 avocados
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup oil
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make avocado crema by adding garlic cloves to your food processor blender until finely chopped. Add egg next, along with the juice of the lemon. While running, slowly add the oil until mixture thickens. Add the avocado and cumin next and pulse until smooth. Season the crema with salt and pepper.
- Toast your bread, slice tomatoes, and prepare your bacon.
- Build your sandwich first with a nice coating of your avocado crema on both sides of your toast. Then add arugula, freshly sliced tomatoes, turkey and slice of bacon. Crack black pepper on cut tomatoes and a pinch of salt.