The warmer months are on the way! This obviously means that we all need to start thinking about our warm-weather food ideas! For me, warmer months mean eating food like sandwiches, pasta salads, quinoa or couscous. Just because food isn’t being served piping hot, it doesn’t mean that it should be anything less than delicious!
This recipe is a spin-off of a club sandwich with some special additions to give it some extra crunch! This sandwich features turkey and avocados, which are essential for ocular health. Eating food that is rich in these nutrients will ensure healthy eyes for years to come. Most of these nutrients cannot be reproduced in the body and have to be obtained through food.
Turkey Avocado Club Sandwich
- Shredded turkey
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Red onion, sliced very thin
- Arugula, lightly dressed with lemon and olive oil
- Radishes, sliced very thin
- 1 green apple, sliced very thin
- Spicy sprouts
- Mayonnaise or aioli
- Dijon mustard
- 3 pieces of multi-grain bread, toasted
- 2 pieces of crispy pancetta
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast three pieces of bread. Fry pancetta in a small pan and cook until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- Spread a light layer of mayonnaise on the bottom piece of bread. Place pancetta on top, followed by dressed arugula, radishes, and red onion. Top with a second piece of bread, with a layer of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise, followed by turkey, green apple slices and sprouts.
- Season all layers with salt and pepper. Place a final piece of bread on top, and cut in half. Secure with a toothpick and enjoy!