This time of year having something like tuna salad premade in the fridge is a necessity for our house for numerous reasons like, hello… it is hot outside! Who wants to eat a hot dinner or lunch? Also being able to prepare this great meal in advance for any moments notice is a huge perk. However, just because this meal is premade doesn’t mean that this is going to be your general run-of-the-mill tuna salad! Prepare to make your tuna salad like this from now on!
Not only will you be satisfied with this delicious recipe, but also your eyes will thank you too because of the omega-3 fatty acids that are found in tuna. People who have a diet rich in these antioxidants have been shown to have drastic decreases in the chances of developing dry eye syndrome. Dry eye syndrome can cause a myriad of problems for the general health and stability of your eyes. If you have 2 to 4 servings of omega-3 fatty acids a week, you are 19 percent less likely to develop this problem, and your chances decrease by 69 percent if you consume 5 to 6 servings a week. What a difference that makes!
Not only beneficial for your eyes, tuna packs an incredibly high percentage of protein, which is always a great way to keep yourself going strong all day long. The addition of dried fruits to this tuna salad keeps things interesting, while serving it on top of some delicious romaine keeps this recipe light and easy to assemble.
Tuna Salad with Dried Fruit
- 3 6oz. cans tuna (I prefer tuna packed in olive oil)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small red onion, diced very small
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ cup mixed dried cranberries/blueberries
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped very fine
- 1 lemon, juice
- ½ tablespoon Kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Romaine lettuce, chopped for salad
- Prepare hard-boiled eggs by covering in small pan with water. Bring to boil. Once boiling, cook for seven minutes. Remove from heat and rinse with water then remove shell. Your eggs will be perfect every time with this method.
- Next add the remainder of the ingredients together by mixing in a large bowl, check for seasoning, and serve on top of some crisp romaine with your favorite vinaigrette or even late night on a delicious cracker!