I would have to say that one of my favorite things to snack on is a definitely potato chip. They are a quick solution for a quick snack, but as delicious as they are, unfortunately, they are not very healthy for you. They are generally fried, which we all know is never good for you, and then they are usually coated in a generous sprinkling of salt. So I thought how could we make a healthier, guilt-free chip…an oven-baked sweet potato chip is the answer, and it is delicious!
Sweet potatoes have more nutrients in them than the stereotypical russet potato that most potato chips are made from, and frankly they have a lot of more flavor, which is always a plus for me! Sweet potatoes have a ton of nutrients for your eye health. It is full of beta-carotene, which is an essential nutrient for your eyes. The beta-carotene protects you eyes from harmful UV rays that can seriously damage to your eyes and potentially lead to cancer as well.
This recipe works because of the long cooking process at a low temperature. If you have a cooking rack, this will ensure that your chips are crispy. A mandoline would also be very helpful to ensure consistent thin slices, but cutting very thin slices with a knife will also work too.
Sweet Potato Chips
- 4 sweet potatoes, sliced very thin by knife or mandoline
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
Ingredients for Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes into small, thin coins. Place in bowl and drizzle with olive oil and ½ teaspoon Kosher salt. Toss until evenly coated.
- Lay out onto baking sheets fitted with cooking racks.
- Cook for about 2 hours flipping and rotating halfway through.
- Depending how evenly you were able to cut potatoes, they may be slightly soft when you remove them from the oven. Take them out and they will harden up a bit while cooling.
- Make seasoning salt in small bowl by mixing all spiced together. Sprinkle with seasoned salt while potatoes are still warm. Enjoy!