This time of year all of the delicious berries are coming into season. In particular, strawberries are the stars of the produce section. In these peak times you should enjoy using these berries everyday while you can, because they are just so good! You can turn them into a delicious jam, or even freeze them for later use.
Berries are full of vitamin C and vitamin A. They are also full of antioxidants as well as zinc, which are all incredible nutrients for your eyesight. The addition of berries to your diet will help ensure strong, healthy eyes. All of these contributing nutrients will help ensure that your eyes do not develop problems like night-blindness, or other ocular problems such as cataracts or macular degeneration.
Whether you are eating these berries fresh or maybe turned them into a delicious dessert, research has shown that strawberries, blueberries and other types of berries may have more nutritional benefits to them than we are even actually aware of now. Further research is being conducted to discover other benefits of the nutrients these beautiful and delicious berries hold.
Strawberry and Blueberry Almond Crisp
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled
- ½ lb. blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup almonds, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of Kosher salt
Ingredients for Crisp
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Place strawberries and blueberries in a small baking dish, one large enough for an even layer.
- Sprinkle sugars on top of berries along with ground almonds, salt and vanilla extract. Ensure everything is covered.
- Make crisp by adding all remaining ingredients in bowl of food processor and pulse until a fine meal is formed with small clumps of butter throughout.
- Crumble on top of berries and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with whipped cream or drizzle of vanilla Greek yogurt