When I was a kid I enjoyed watching old episodes of “Popeye the Sailor.” After seeing what happened to Popeye when he ate spinach, I was convinced the food had superpowers. All you had to do was open a can and chug it. Of course, as I got older I realized it was just a cartoon, but it looks like that loveable cartoon character was on to something. No, you won’t grow huge muscles within seconds of eating spinach, but this veggie does have a great deal to offer. These leafy greens are one of the healthiest foods you can put on your plate. Here’s why: spinach is packed with two major antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin. They can not only improve your vision, but possibly help you maintain it for the long term. The antioxidants also protect your eyes from high-energy light waves, like ultraviolet rays found in sunlight. If you’re not sold on the idea of eating a large amount of raw spinach like Popeye, these spinach and feta cheese squares are for you.
This is a quick recipe that has very few steps. Simply cook the spinach, mix it with the other ingredients and then bake it for 30 minutes. Because of its quick preparation, these squares make great appetizers for a party or a side dish with your meal. This recipe is also different from others you may find for spinach squares. There is no butter and it includes whole wheat flour. When all of these ingredients come together, they create a dish that’s good to your taste buds– and your eyes.
- 15 oz. package frozen spinach
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cups of feta cheese
- 3/4 cups of mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook and drain frozen spinach according to package instructions and place in large bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients with spinach and mix well. Pour mixture into baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown on the sides.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.