Sweet potatoes are one of my most favorite things to eat this time of year. They can be found all year long in our grocery stores, but there is just something incredibly delicious about them this time of year. One of my favorite ways to enjoy sweet potatoes is by making them into an incredibly delicious soup. It is a beautiful color, and is also an incredibly hearty meal that will keep you warm and going strong all winter long.
Sweet potatoes and their beautiful orange color are incredibly beneficial to your eyes. When you find rich colors like that in nature they are full of beta-carotenes and vitamin A, which are great sources of nutrition for your eye health. The sweet potato and its rich sweet flavor are also a lot easier to enjoy than the bitter taste sometimes associated with eating greens that are also rich in the same nutrients. So kids generally tend to enjoy them too.
This soup can be flavored in many different ways, but when it comes to sweet potatoes I think they really shine bright with the help of oranges. The orange and sweet potato flavor may sound kind of strange but, believe me, once you try it you will be unable to imagine how you never have experienced these flavors without each other before!
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Orange Crème Fraiche
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flake
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Water, enough to cover sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cream
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 orange, zested
- Crème Fraiche
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel sweet potatoes and chop them into smaller pieces. Lie out onto tray and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Add to 350-degree oven and allow to roast until sweet potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- While your sweet potatoes are roasting, chop onion and garlic, and sweat in soup pot until clear and translucent and very fragrant. Add chili flakes and salt and pepper.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked, add to pot with onions and add enough water just to barely cover the sweet potatoes. Add your cream and cinnamon stick and cook until all ingredients are very soft. Add all ingredients to blender and blend until very smooth and consistency is right. Season to taste.
- Add zest of orange to Crème Fraiche, and top bowls with orange Crème Fraiche.