Carrots are commonly known to be very beneficial for your eyesight. This is actually one of those old tales that has some truth to it. Carrots have very high amounts of nutrients inside their orange skin that is incredibly beneficial for your eyesight.
Carrots are high in lycopene, zeaxanthin, and lutein. These nutrients are necessary for eye health because they help monitor and regulate the daily functions of the eye. They keep your eyes moist, prevent harmful UV rays from damaging our vision, and protect our eyes from other free radicals in the environment. It is important to find foods that hold high levels of these lycopene, zaxanthin and lutien because our bodies do not synthesize these nutrients on their own.
Supplying your body with these eye-healthy nutrients through daily diet or supplements is necessary to keep your eyes happy and healthy for years to come. These nutrients will be absorbed through digestion and sent straight to where they are needed. So keep your vision strong and enjoy this incredible carrot recipe!
Roasted Spring Carrots with Golden Raisins, Marcona Almonds, Cilantro, and Cumin Vinaigrette*
- 2 large bundles spring carrots
- 1 cup golden raisins
- ¾ cup marcona almonds
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves separated
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced very thin
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ¼ tablespoon coriander
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Remove all greens from carrots, and place carrots into a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and a large pinch of salt. Toss carrots in bowl to coat lightly.
- Place carrots onto a baking sheet and roast in a 375-degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until carrots are tender and golden brown. You may need to stir periodically throughout the cooking process. Remove from oven and cool.
- Make cumin vinaigrette by mixing vinegar, Dijon, honey, shallot, garlic, cumin and coriander with your olive oil vigorously until beautifully emulsified. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the dish by mixing the cooled carrots, thinly sliced fennel, sliced red onion, almonds and raisins together. Lightly dress with cumin vinaigrette and top with cilantro leaves.
*This dish is delicious hot or cold, and even better the next day after marinating all together.