Brussels sprouts are probably one of the most popular vegetables of the season right now. It seems like you can not go into the grocery store, or even into your favorite restaurant without seeing Brussels sprouts being offered. Brussels sprouts flourish this time of year, so be sure to try them before it is too late!
Brussels sprouts are very nutritious for your entire body, but when it comes to eye health, they really stand strong. Brussels sprouts are beneficial for your eyes because they are full of lutein and zeaxanthin. These two nutrients will help protect your eyes from outside harm, prevent dry eyes that could lead to irritation or even cause damage to the corneas in your eyes. They also help reduce the risk of macular degeneration, loss of eyesight. Adding Brussels sprouts to your daily diet will keep your eyes healthy and strong for years to come.
My favorite way to prepare Brussels sprouts is by roasting them. Once roasted, the Brussels sprouts give off an incredible sweet flavor, and paired with their slight cabbage-y taste, Brussels make the perfect accompaniment to any meal, or even thrown into a salad, or shaved very thin and eaten raw with a little bit of vinaigrette and your favorite nut or cheese.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans
- Brussels sprouts, cut in half and loose leafs removed
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup toasted pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon freshly cracked pepper
- Clean and wash Brussels sprouts, cut in half and add to large bowl along with garlic, shallot, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Toss all ingredients around until coated in oil, and empty onto a greased sheet pan. Arrange Brussels sprouts cut-side down on pan, and add to oven at 350 degrees. Cook for about 20 to 30 minutes until Brussels sprouts are softer and gain color. For the last 5 minutes add pecans to tray with sprouts and allow to toast.
- Scrape all ingredients from sheet tray, add to large bowl and toss all together. Season to taste and serve along side your favorite meat like chicken or pork.