Almonds are definitely one of my favorite nuts because of their amazing versatility. They can obviously be that salty bite in a salad, or they can be that flavorful crunch in a sweet dessert. However you prefer your almonds knowing about the incredible health benefits that they can offer your eyes and your entire body will have you coming back for more!
Almonds are an incredible source for vitamin E. Vitamin E helps prevent damage from free radicals that are found floating around in your eye, which can cause damage like macular degeneration and cataracts. Vitamin E has also been shown to reduce the risk of cataracts.
Peach and Almond Scones
- ¾ cup cold, heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond cxtract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup peaches
- 1 cup toasted almonds
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Using a cheese grater or a fork, work the cold butter into the dry mixture until the size of small peas. Slowly add almonds, peaches and cream. Do not over-work the dough; it will be crumbly.
- Put dough onto floured board and work into a small circular disk, then cut into six large pieces or wedges.
- Bake on a tray lined with parchment. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 to 17 minutes until golden brown and delicious.