Salmon is a delicious protein that is incredibly beneficial for eye health because of all the nutrients it contains. Salmon has a tremendous amount of antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, which promote retinal health and may protect against macular degeneration, dry eye syndrome and glaucoma.
It may seem odd to think about fats actually being beneficial for our bodies, but omega-3 fatty acids are essential in maintaining overall health. These fatty acids are the building blocks of fat that allow cells to reproduce and stabilize. Not all fatty acids are naturally produced in our bodies, so we must get these nutrients through the foods that we eat – like salmon!
Including these vital nutrients in our diets will help fight off a plethora of ailments and provide a wide range of health benefits. Keep your body properly fueled with this mouthwatering recipe for herbed salmon, and know that each bite is helping you maintain optimal ocular health.
Herbed Salmon with Oven Roasted Broccoli
- 4 salmon filets, skin on
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, removed from stem
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare a lightly greased baking dish.
- Finely chop herbs and transfer into a bowl. Mix in minced garlic. Add olive oil and lemon juice/zest until drizzling consistency is reached.
- Place filets in baking dish, skin side down, and season with salt and pepper. Generously cover tops of filets with herb mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on desired level of doneness.
- Allow salmon to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with roasted broccoli that has been cut into florets and tossed in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook in 425 degree oven until browned on top and slightly tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.