There’s something about ordering a pizza on a Friday night. Add a movie to the mix and you have what my family calls a good end to the work week. Of course, the pizza you order comes with a lot more than just extra cheese. But if you skip the delivery and go straight to the kitchen, you can still enjoy that gooey slice of pizza — and a good serving of vegetables. A grilled zucchini pizza with cauliflower crust may not sound like the answer to your pizza prayers at first, but that may change once you find out the health benefits in this dish. Zucchini contains lutein and zeaxanthin. These both promote healthy eyesight by filtering light rays and making sure harmful ones do not damage your eye tissue. A cup of chopped zucchini contains 2.6 milligrams of lutein and zeaxanthin.
Of course, zucchini has fewer calories than the pepperoni you find on other pizzas. (That’s another bonus.) By placing this veggie on top of a crust made out of cauliflower, you are getting double for your money. The good news is, making the crust is fairly easy and not very time- consuming. Who knew that pizza could satisfy your cravings and help improve your eyesight at the same time?
- 1 large zucchini
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Jar of pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 large head of cauliflower (or 2 cups of shredded cauliflower)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
To Prepare Crust:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and lightly spray pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Wash head of cauliflower and cut in half. Then use cheese shredder to cut into fine pieces. This should equal 2 cups of cauliflower.
- Next place the bowl of shredded cauliflower in the microwave for 8 minutes then let it cool.
- Add the cauliflower to the other ingredients of the crust. Stir them together and then spread over the pizza pan.
- Place in the oven for 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
To Prepare the Topping:
- Heat a grill pan on medium high heat.
- Wash and cut zucchini and then brush with extra virgin olive oil and salt. Place on grill pan and cook for two minutes on each side.
- Spread pizza sauce on crust, along with cheese, zucchini and another light sprinkle of cheese on top.
- Broil in the oven for about 3 minutes, or until cheese melts.