This is the time of year when we show our appreciation for the woman who carried us for nine months and went through hours of labor to bring us into the world. Instead of sending flowers this Mother’s Day, why not give the gift of healthy eyes? You can do that with a simple breakfast that will kick Mother’s Day off to a delicious and nutritious start.
The meal consists of eggs, a piece of whole grain toast and a refreshing green smoothie. Both the eggs and the spinach are good for your eyesight. The spinach packs a mean nutritional punch, but has a subtle flavor when blended with the other ingredients. Leafy greens and eggs also contain lutein and zeaxanthin. According to research, these antioxidants can lower your risk of developing macular degeneration and cataracts. So, go ahead and let mom “see” how much you love her with this easy, yet healthy, Mother’s Day breakfast.
Ingredients for green smoothie:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- ½ cup of fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- Chop the banana into pieces.
- Place the milk in the blender first. Add bananas, peanut butter and other ingredients. Puree in the blender until smooth.
- Prepare eggs to your liking (scrambled, poached, hard boiled, soft boiled, over easy) and add whole grain toast to the plate.