Mangos are a delicious fruit that people probably don’t find in their fruit baskets very often. It is a delicious fruit that has a beautiful flavor and an amazing color, which will make any use of it surely pop! Mangos are delicious eaten on their own, but they are also incredibly versatile when it comes to using it in an amazing salsa or even grilled. Mangos are also full of nutritional benefits, so the next time you’re at the store don’t forget to pick up a couple. You will not be disappointed.
Mangos, like any other uniquely colored fruit or vegetable, are high in beta-carotenes that are extremely beneficial for optimum eye health. It can help fight against cataracts and macular degeneration. One cup of mango provides nearly 25 percent of your daily vitamin A, which is also incredibly beneficial for your ocular health.
One of my favorite uses of mangos is when you use lightly under-ripened green mangoes and make a delicious green mango salad. This recipe uses a slightly spicy vinaigrette and peanuts to highlight the delicious flavors of the mango. It is a great recipe to serve along with a piece of fish or even a piece of grilled chicken!
Green Mango Salad
- 3 green mangos, peeled and sliced into small chunks
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 shallot, diced fine
- 1 orange, zested
- 3 limes, juiced and zest
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- Prepare mangos and put into large bowl.
- Make vinaigrette by mixing diced shallot, jalapeno, orange zest, lime juice and zest, with olive oil until combined and emulsified. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- You may either dress these individually or put them into a ramekin or timbale to shape, so you have perfectly shaped salads on every plate. You can also just pour the salad and vinaigrette together and allow it to marinate in a bowl and serve with a spoon casually along with the protein of your choice.
*This would also make an incredible salsa served with fried plantains or with fresh baked pita.