The one thing you know that you are going to have on your holiday table this year is definitely a turkey, but what about all the other sides? One of my favorite vegetables to eat along side my bird this time of year are green beans. Green beans are incredibly versatile and, depending on the variety of bean you are using, can be prepared in numerous ways.
Green beans are also an incredible source of nutrients in regards to your ocular health. They contain a high amount of zeaxanthin, which is carotenoid that provides antioxidants to your eye that will help prevent UV light dysfunction in the eye. This also gives protection to your eyes and fights other signs/stages of age-related macular degeneration.
This recipe is going to utilize haricot verts, which are a fancy French green bean that are very pretty and have a delicious snap to them when cooked properly. In this recipe I am going to use green beans and make a delicious salad utilizing almonds and cornbread crumbs. It is almost like a melding of your delicious dressing with the added plus of delicious and eye healthy green beans.
Green Bean Salad with Cornbread Crumbs
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 pound haricot verts, trimmed and blanched
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinaigrette
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Ingredients for Cornbread Crumbs*
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
*You will need to use a 7×9 buttered Pyrex dish or cast iron skillet to cook the cornbread crumbs.
- First make cornbread by mixing all dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside. In second bowl or large wet measuring cup, mix all wet ingredients, then slowly add wet to dry and mix until combined. Do not over mix or cornbread will be tough. Add to preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 35 to 45 minutes or until cornbread is cooked in middle. Check with toothpick. Allow to cool.
- Blanch trimmed beans in a large pot of salted water. Cook until bean still retains slight crisp, and bright green color. Drain beans and immediately add to large bowl of ice water to shock green beans. This will keep the bright color and stop the beans from cooking, keeping them crisp.
- Slice red onions and toast almonds
- Cut cooled cornbread into small crouton like shapes and set aside until time to serve.
- Make vinaigrette by mixing oil, vinegar, mustard and honey together until emulsified.
- When it is time to serve, add all ingredients to bowl and dress with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper