Strawberry season is in full swing, which means that you should go to your local farmer’s market and stock up on these delicious rubies while they are at their peak. There are many different ways to keep the freshness of summer strawberries in your pantry all year long. Canning, pickling, and making preserves are all great ways to preserve the strawberry’s sweet goodness even in the coldest months. But have you ever thought about making strawberries into a zesty salsa?
Salsa is a condiment that everyone loves, but how do you make the most delicious salsa ever? Add strawberries! Strawberries are actually quite versatile because they can have many savory and sweet combinations. We have even pickled strawberries, which is probably my favorite. Adding these little juicy fruits to your favorite salsa recipe is sure to change your taste for regular salsa forever!
Fresh Strawberry Salsa
- 2 quarts strawberries, stems removed, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 avocados, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced very small
- 12 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, lightly chopped
- 8 mint leaves, chopped
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare all ingredients by chopping into appropriate sizes and combine together in one large bowl.
- Add in chopped herbs, vinegar, and a generous splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust with salt/pepper.
- Allow salsa to sit for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight) before serving.