In regards to eye health, kale is full of lutein and zeaxanthin. These compounds are extremely beneficial to help your eyes stay healthy in the battle to prevent cataracts. When your eyes have enough lutein and zeaxanthin, these compounds act similarly to sunglass lenses and help prevent your eyes from ocular damage or cataracts. With the addition of these compounds to your diet you can expect an incredible decrease in likelihood of the occurrence of cataracts in your eyes by 22 percent.
This time of year I believe that a kale salad is the way to go! Nowadays you can find kale at most grocery stores. The only preparation I believe is necessary for the kale is cutting it into smaller strips. It can be quite hearty and chewy in large chunks. If you are wary about a salad with all kale you can certainly throw in some of your favorite greens too.
Eye Healthy Kale Salad
- 1 box/bag Kale- cut into 2-inch strips
- Red Onion – cut in half and then sliced very thin
- 1 cup Slices Almonds- toasted
- 3 Peaches – sliced
- ¾ Cup Golden Raisins
- ½ Cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- ½ Cup Apple cider Vinaigrette
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- Prepare greens, toast almonds, slice peaches, and slice onions.
- Make vinaigrette start by adding vinegar, mustard and honey to bowl, slowly add oil while whisking vigorously until entirely combined, season.
- Dress Greens and add all other ingredients, allow salad to sit for a second, Kale can be quite tough and allowing the vinaigrette to break down the leaf a little will soften the green.