Hummus is probably one of my all-time favorite things. It is the perfect snack, and even tastes amazing on other things like sandwiches. When it comes to hummus the possibilities are truly limitless, and did I mention how amazing it is??!!
The main ingredient in hummus is the chickpea or garbanzo bean. Hummus is essentially ground up chickpeas that are made flavorful and creamy by adding flavorful herbs, delicious olive oil and spices.
Besides being incredibly delicious, hummus holds many different types of nutrients that are incredibly beneficial for maintaining optimum eye health. Garbanzo beans have an incredibly high level of zinc. Zinc is found in the retina of the eye, and when the levels are right, they can fight off factors that can lead to macular degeneration. With the addition of antioxidant-rich olive oil, and vitamin-full lemon zest and juice your eye health will be your top priority, all the while you are just eating some delicious hummus!
Eye Healthy Hummus
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, reserve liquid
- ½ cup tahini (ground sesame Ppaste)
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 3 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sumac, for garnish
- Place garlic cloves in food processor and pulse until finely grated.
- Add drained chickpeas to bowl with garlic. Pulse until smooth.
- Add tahini, lemon juice and zest, cumin, coriander, Tabasco, and salt and pepper. Process all together until well mixed.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while the blade is on until extremely creamy and smooth. I like mine to be pretty thick, but however you like it is best.
- Taste for seasoning. Serve with drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of sumac. Goes great with fresh pita, pita chips, vegetable crudité, or even on a delicious sandwich.
* Hummus is incredibly versatile. It can be made with the addition of roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, olives, fresh herbs, pesto and also be made to be very spicy. The possibilities are endless. This is just a delicious starter or hummus base to use as a guide.