We often hear about the things we should not eat. Everyone knows too many sweets will lead to weight gain, and that you should limit your trips to the fast food window. While it’s beneficial to know what to stay away from, it’s equally as important to highlight items that could improve your health. Take eggs, for example. You may view them as a basic breakfast item, but they’re so much more than that. Eating eggs could help you develop stronger eyes. That’s because their yolks contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which are antioxidants that can prevent macular degeneration and protect you from ultraviolet radiation from the sun. They’re also low in calories and high in protein. (That’s good news for anyone who wants to lose or maintain their weight.)
If you’re trying to figure out how to include more eggs in your diet, this healthy egg salad is a great way to start. This recipe cuts down on fat by replacing the majority of the mayonnaise with non-fat Greek yogurt. It has the same texture, but comes with a lot less guilt. The addition of a chopped bell pepper also adds a little crunch, along with fiber and vitamins C and E. With this egg salad on your plate, you’ll be well on your way to keeping your eyes sharp.
Eye-Healthy Egg Salad
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put eggs in a saucepan with cold water and bring to a slow boil on medium heat. Remove from heat and cover for 12 minutes.
- Drain water and let eggs cool. Peel eggs and cut into chunks.
- Put eggs in a bowl along with chopped bell pepper, yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Spread onto bread of your choice and enjoy.