Oatmeal is also incredibly beneficial for your eyesight because it contains a very high level of vitamin A. Vitamin A contributes to the health of your eyes because of the beta-carotenes, which allow the retina of the eye to function properly. It has also been shown to decrease the chances of night-blindness, age-related macular degeneration and also fight off the formation of cataracts. One small packet of instant oatmeal has 30 percent of your daily-recommended dose of vitamin A.
By adding other beneficial ingredients to your daily oatmeal you can ensure that your morning oats pack quite a punch in keeping your eyes in shape and healthy.
Delicious Banana Walnut Oatmeal
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup milk (you can use your favorite like regular, soy, almond, coconut)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or agave nectar
- 1 banana, sliced
- Toasted walnuts
- Pinch of sea salt
- Bring liquid to a boil in small pot, and then add the oats.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Once your desired consistency has been reached add cinnamon, walnuts, nutmeg and sweetener of your choice.
- Dish oatmeal into bowls, and top with remaining bananas
*Can be made in advance, just heat up in microwave with just a splash of water.
** This recipe can be modified with your favorite ingredients. You could put in a scoop of your favorite almond butter, peanut butter, or even a scoop of nutella! The possibilities are endless.