Summer has arrived ushering in the arrival of countless different types of beautiful fruits and vegetables for us to enjoy at the peak of the season. This is the time of year that you are going to discover these foods with the best flavor. The warm weather and bright sun allows all of our hot weather crops to be packed with flavor, and add some punch to your favorite dishes all season long.
Some of my favorite fruits to look forward to every summer are always any kind of melon. Sure you can find them at the supermarket all year long, but now is the time you actually want to buy them. They are going to be packed with flavor, and not taste like their usual watered-down versions.
Cantaloupe is a delicious fruit that is great to snack on all day long. It is also a great source of nutrients to keep your eyes strong and healthy! Eating cantaloupe has shown to decrease the risk of developing cataracts by 15 percent. The beta-carotene that is found inside the melon is converted into vitamin A, which is going to help your night vision and other general functions of the eye. People with deficiencies of vitamin A in their bodies have a higher risk of developing macular degeneration. Other melons like honeydew, and even watermelon contain vitamins that will help keep your entire body healthy!
This recipe is a great one to use this summer because it makes a beautiful tray of food for any party or get together. It is very versatile, and can be added to, no matter how big or small your occasion may be!
Cantaloupe & Prosciutto Platter
- 1 large ripe cantaloupe, cut into rounds with melon baller
- 1 lb. thinly sliced prosciutto
- Ricotta salata, shaved with vegetable peeler
- Aged balsamic vinegar reduction
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Using a melon baller, cut small circles out of cantaloupe.
- On a large plate or tray lay out slices of sliced prosciutto to cover the surface.
- Next arrange scooped melon onto the top of prosciutto, then lightly layer with arugula. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar reduction. Top with thinly sliced ricotta salata.
- Lightly season the entire tray with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.