Avocados are amazingly versatile ingredients that are always a great idea to keep around the house, just in case. This time of year it is always a good idea to lighten up what you are eating and try new things. Spring-cleaning is abound, and your diet will be more than happy to be dusted of as well!
Avocados are full of nutritional benefits for your entire body, but they are especially good for your eyesight. Avocados contain an incredible amount of lutein. Lutein, as well as zeaxanthin, is a carotenoid that is found within the macula of the eye.
Their role in eye health helps filter out high-energy blue light and also acts as an antioxidant that protects and regulates the cells in your eyes. Our body cannot create these carotenoids on its own, which means it is up to us to provide a steady flow of these nutrients either through our diet, or though supplements. One ounce of avocado has 81 micrograms of lutein. So with the addition of avocados to your daily diet your eyesight will be on the right track to staying strong and healthy, even as you age.
Breakfast Tartine with Avocado, Fried Egg, and Valentina
- 1 piece of your favorite Bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, seed removed
- 1 egg, fried to your liking
- 1 lemon, juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle of Valentina (it is a delicious hot sauce, but you can use whatever you have on hand)
- Toast bread and lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Slice avocado, and fan out onto toast. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Prepare your fried egg (I prefer sunny side up), and gently place on top of avocado.
- Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle on Valentina