Summer is here, and the best way to enjoy the beautiful weather is by celebrating the season with a delicious burger, right? As amazing as a hamburger is, it is certainly not the healthiest for you, but do not worry because this recipe for a delicious black bean burger will have you wanting more, and it’s good for you too!
When you can avoid eating red meat, most studies suggest that you are going to be better off because of many reasons but in particular the fat content of the meat and its adverse effects on your body. By being able to substitute your favorite food items with healthier alternatives you are not only ensuring your body that it will get greater nutrients, but you will be proud of yourself and be guilt-free when it comes down to enjoying your “burger.”
Black beans provide an excellent source of nutrition for not just your entire body but your eyes too. They contain folic acid which is a great nutritional supplement especially for maintaining your eye and even skin health. They are full of protein and fiber, which will keep your body going strong whatever may come your way. These black bean burgers are simple to make and will be enjoyed by everyone.
Black Bean Burgers
- 1 15oz. can of black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- Olive oil
- Drain and rinse beans. Add to bowl with breadcrumbs, herbs, seasonings, garlic, onion and egg. Mash with form until evenly mixed and comes together. Allow patties to sit in fridge for at least 15 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a large pan with a small amount of olive oil until right before pan starts to smoke. Gently add patties and cook on both sides for about 10 minutes, until beautifully cooked and a crispy crust forms.
- Serve on your favorite bun and top with a fresh tomato, avocado slices and some feta cheese.