Arugula is easily one of my favorite greens of all time. It has a nice peppery bite to it, and you won’t be caught chewing for days on end like with our good friend, kale. Not hating on kale, but arugula is just so much easier! It is an incredible versatile ingredient to have around your kitchen at all times, it is one of my staples that I always have, and is delicious when raw or thrown into a dish like an herb. Learning to love arugula is going to be one of the easiest things you have ever done.
Arugula is super beneficial for your entire body, but when it comes to eye health, it goes the extra mile. It is loaded with the essentials: lutein, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. These nutrients are like the eye health trifecta. Consuming any of these nutrients alone will help your eyes stay healthy, but when consumed together they are incredibly powerful, and will keep your eyes bright and your vision sharp for years to come. Arugula also contains another great nutrient, Glucosinolates, which will help sharpen your eyes defenses to outside contaminants.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy arugula is on top of a delicious homemade pizza, but you can also make an incredible pesto with it too. I find the arugula pesto to be an incredibly flavorful sauce, and it is a lot cheaper than buying enough basil to make a decent amount of pesto. The best thing about making a big batch of pesto is that you can freeze it and keep it up to six months. So whether you try lightly dressing your arugula with some olive oil, pepper and lemon juice atop your favorite pizza, or making a delicious pesto with it, you can’t go wrong.
Arugula Pesto Pizza
Ingredients for Pizza Dough
- 2 cups warm water, not too hot or yeast will die
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for Arugula Pesto
- 2 cups arugula, firmly packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 1 cup Parmesan
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
Directions for Dough
- Add warm water, yeast, olive oil and sugar into a small bowl, and allow it to sit until small bubbles form on top of water. This ensures your yeast is alive.
- Then add flour and yeast mixture to a large bowl. Add slowly and knead with your hands on a floured surface until a smooth dough ball forms. Add to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Store in a warm place like on top of you oven or refrigerator until dough doubles in size.
- Once doubled, punch down dough and portion into small portions.
- Roll dough out to desired thickness and add to slightly greased pizza pan.
- Brush crust with olive oil
- Add toppings and add to oven at 375 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Directions for Pesto
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to bowl of food processor and puree until smooth or as chunky as you prefer.
- Slowly add olive oil through top of processor while running to finish of the sauce.
- Scrape out all pesto and put into container and cover with a little bit of olive oil to prevent discoloration and drying out (you can freeze it for up to six months).
- Add pesto to pizza crust and top with your favorite cheeses like mozzarella and parmesan.