You scream, I scream– well, you know the rest. Ice cream is not just a treat to get you through the sweltering summer heat. It also has a place in the winter months, particularly with those holiday desserts. But those joyful shouts for this sweet goodness can quickly turn to cries of despair when you think about what it does to your waistline and overall health.
Don’t fret though. There’s good news for those who love ice cream, but also enjoy fitting into their favorite pair of jeans. With just three ingredients and a food processor, you can partake in a healthier alternative that will satisfy your ice cream craving. When you’re done with your holiday meal, fill your bowl with this pomegranate and dark chocolate “ice cream.” Instead of loads of sugar and a long list of ingredients, this dessert is simply frozen bananas that have been processed to the consistency of ice cream. Top this with pomegranates and dark chocolate and you’re adding two sweet and healthy perks.
Pomegranates boost the production of rhodopsin, which can lead to better eyesight. This fruit is also full of antioxidants which could reduce your chances of developing certain types of cancer. Meanwhile, dark chocolate stands out by preventing heart disease and aiding in weight loss. Serve this treat after dinner and there will definitely be more screaming for ice cream at your dinner table.
Pomegranate and Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
- 3 very ripe bananas, chopped and frozen overnight
- 2 tablespoons of pomegranate arils
- 1 tablespoon of dark chocolate chips
- Cut bananas in small pieces, place in ziplock bag and freeze overnight. (About seven hours)
- Place frozen bananas in food processor or blender. Add dark chocolate chips and run until smooth.
- Lightly stir in pomegranate seeds with spoon.
- Scoop into bowl and enjoy.