There’s something about getting a warm muffin right out of the oven and washing it down with a cup of Joe. Unfortunately, that healthy muffin can quickly turn into more of a dessert, depending on how it’s prepared. But all is not lost if you love muffins but also strive for a healthy diet. Simply fill your muffins with nutritious ingredients and you’re back in business. Pomegranates make a great addition to a muffin recipe. They look good and they’re good for you. Pomegranates contain vitamin E, which could protect against macular degeneration. Also, if you have trouble just saying no to second helpings (as we all do sometimes), pomegranate is the fruit for you. They’re high in fiber, which can help you stay full longer and prevent overeating.
Pomegranates are not the only healthy addition to this recipe. These muffins contain Greek yogurt and unsweetened applesauce instead of butter and oil. I also used white whole wheat flour, which gives you the texture of all-purpose flour but with the health benefits of whole wheat. When these baking substitutes combine with the pomegranates, you can enjoy that muffin without the guilt.
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 6 ounces Chobani Vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bow,l combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, yogurt, milk and applesauce. Mix together and then pour wet mixture into dry ingredients. Stir until moist, being careful not to overmix.
- Lightly stir in pomegranate seeds and then walnuts.
- Fill paper lines 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool for five minutes in pan and then transfer them to a wire rack to continue cooling.