Turnip greens are one of the most overlooked greens, in my opinion. I think that people only see them in the slow cooked southern kid of way, but they are way more versatile than that! Don’t get me wrong; I love them when we braise them for a long time, but there are countless other ways to prepare them!
Turnip greens are also an incredible source of nutrients for your eyes. Their dark green color lets us know that they are packed full of lutein, which is a nutrient used to keep your eyes healthy and strong. A diet rich in lutein has been shown to drastically reduce the odds of developing macular degeneration, which can affect your vision as well. Turnip greens will also aid in the ability to maintain your night vision.
This recipe is using turnip greens in delicious pasta. Chopping the greens before throwing into the pasta to wilt them will help you achieve a less fibrous green, resulting in a delicious dish that you do not have to cook for hours on the stove!
Peppery Turnip Green Pasta
- 1 package Fettuccine
- 1 bag turnip greens, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large slice pancetta, thickly sliced, cubed
- 2 shallots, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon course black pepper corns, smashed
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions, but drain and reserve cooking liquid.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with pancetta,. Cook pancetta until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Add garlic to remaining oil in pan along with shallots, chili flakes and coarsely smashed peppercorns. Cook until fragrant.
- Add noodles back to pan and cook on medium heat until noodles are coated with all ingredients. Add turnip greens and crispy pancetta. Allow to cook down in sauce. Add reserved pasta water, about ¾ cup, to allow turnip greens to cook and pasta to become creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finish with lemon zest and Greek yogurt. Garnish with parsley.