Gone are the days when glasses equal geek. Glasses are one of the hottest ways to show your style and give a fresh new look, especially in the younger generation. Eyewear is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to add some color and shape to you face. Frames are an easy way to change your look without committing to a new hairstyle or getting a new wardrobe. Some teens and young adults, who do not even need prescription lenses, have been known to wear frames just to add some interest to an outfit. It now seems that eyeglasses are the newest accessory.
Glasses Offer Advantages Over Contacts
Many youth do need prescription lenses, and the popularity of glasses has almost eliminated the stigma of “four eyes.” Glasses can be preferable to contact lenses for many reasons:
- Glasses require very little cleaning and maintenance.
- Glasses do not require touching your eyes so there is less risk of a corneal scratch or infection.
- Glasses can be less expensive than contacts because they usually do not need to be replaced as often.
- Glasses can be worn during all waking hours. Contacts should not be over-worn because they can block the eye’s supply of oxygen.
Although contacts are convenient, they require specific care and cleaning. Improper care of contact lenses can contribute to dry-eye syndrome, computer vision syndrome, and keratitis, or inflammation of the cornea. Many youth are not responsible enough to properly care for contact lenses, and potentially serious eye infections can develop if contacts are not cleaned and replaced according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Try Something New
If you are on the fence about whether to choose glasses or contacts, consider a unique frame that complements your face shape. Here is a list of hot new trends in eyewear:
- Bold—Retro glasses with rosy tints and smoky frames
- Color—Translucent frames in blue or green
- Earthy—Round, sleek, wood-toned
The next time you schedule your comprehensive eye exam, talk to your eye doctor about at least getting a back-up pair of glasses. Choose something a little different to add some interest. You might just end up choosing glasses over your contacts!