Fresh, juicy, locally-grown tomatoes are abundant in the summer, making it the perfect time to add them to the classic grilled cheese.
Tomatoes and basil are full of antioxidants and are extremely beneficial for eye health! Loading up on antioxidants can help protect your eyes from diseases like macular degeneration, cataracts and glaucoma.
Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin A and C, and basil contains lutein and zeaxanthin, plus some vitamin A.
Hope you enjoy this delicious caprese grilled cheese!
Ingredients (1 serving):
2 pieces of whole wheat bread
About 1 ½ tbsp butter
2 slices of mozzarella cheese (cut from a block, thinner slices melt faster)
2 tsp fresh basil, chopped
2 thick slices of tomato, halved
Himalayan sea salt
Balsamic vinegar and olive oil to drizzle
Optional: bed of dark green lettuce
1) Butter two slices of bread, then lay them butter-side down on a plate.
2) Layer a slice of cheese on top of each slice of bread, sprinkle with the chopped basil, then stagger the halved tomato slices on one of the pieces of bread. Give one shake each of sea salt and pepper. Carefully close the sandwich.
3) Heat a pan to medium heat on the stovetop. Melt about ½ tbsp butter in the pan to coat the bottom, and place the sandwich into the pan and cover.
4) Once the bottom piece of bread has browned (about 2 minutes), flip the sandwich to brown the other side (about another 1½ minutes). When the cheese melts, the sandwich is done!
5) Cut the sandwich in half diagonally, then transfer to a plate (on a bed of dark green lettuce if desired). Drizzle a small spoonful of balsamic vinegar and olive oil across the sandwich. Add another shake of sea salt and pepper and serve with a fork.