I’ve been craving a quiche for the last couple weeks, and now I have enough to last my husband and me for breakfast for the next few days! Light and fluffy, these broccoli & sausage quiches taste like omelets made just the way I like them: eggs, cheese, a veggie, and chicken sausage (my favorite!).
The broccoli is really what makes these so good for maintaining eye health. Broccoli is full of antioxidants: vitamin A & vitamin C, lutein, and zeaxanthin, all of which protect your eyes from diseases like macular degeneration and cataracts. The almond milk, cheddar cheese and parsley also have a little vitamin A. Plus, each egg yolk contains more than 250 mcg of lutein and zeaxanthin.
When you wake up hungry in the morning, you’ll eat two of these quiches right up! By the way, when you do, you’ll start your day with about 10 grams of protein. You can freeze the rest to save for later, or refrigerate for a few days. Just put a little shredded cheese on top, heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, and they’re ready to go!
Ingredients (makes 12 muffin-sized quiches)
- cooking spray
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed & chopped (1 ½ cups raw florets)
- ½ cup chicken sausage, cooked & chopped (about 3-4 links)
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ cup mild cheddar cheese, grated (plus another 1 tbsp)
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ¾ tsp fresh garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a regular 12-count muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Chop the head of broccoli into small florets. Pour about 2 cups of water into a medium pot. Place a steamer basket into the pot (making sure the water rests just below the basket.) Place broccoli florets into the basket, cover the pot with a lid, and bring water to a boil. Boil for a few minutes or until florets are bright green and a little softened. Once cooled, chop the broccoli into smaller pieces.
- Pour a little oil in a small pan, and fry the chicken sausage links on the stove on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Once cooled, chop sausage.
- Whisk together eggs and almond milk in a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped broccoli, chopped sausage, shredded cheese, chopped parsley, minced garlic, sea salt and pepper with the eggs and stir together well.
- Pour some of the egg mixture into each muffin cup, but do not fill them more than ¾ full or they will spill over.
- Sprinkle a little extra grated cheese on top of the quiches if you want (either before or after they bake in the oven).
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.